Making Sleep Count

If you have a hard time going to sleep, join the club. I'm one of those people who only gets about 3 to 4 hours of sleep everyday, and gets the rest of them in class. Well, I still get the rest of my sleep in class since I'm still studying at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that if I was working, I wouldn't be sleeping at my station anymore. Umm, not unless it's an extremely boring job that doesn't require me to do anything.

Give me a computer with Internet and I can do anything with no sleep. I admit, I'm a computer geek. I enjoy web design, blogging's actually my newest addiction right now,, but I'm not sure if this is going to last or not. I've been writing all my life, but just never published any of it.

Anyway, let's get back to the topic. How do you find ways in making your sleep count? Are there any tips to actually get to sleep better or get to sleep than taking sleeping pills? I personally do not take sleeping pills. I'm too scared that the sleeping pills may not work on me later on when I get used to them. Someone once said that I have very high tolerance for medicines, whatever that meant.

Okay, we got off-topic again. Anyway, here are some tips that experts provided.

1. Let go of your worries. Yes, it is true. If you do worry a lot, and anxious of something, it bothers you to a point that your mind is so awake that even if you are sleeping, it still seems like you are awake. When it's all quiet, the anxiety seem to rise up. So you might want to deal with them. If you can't deal with them right away, write down your worries, deadlines, and to-dos before you lay down. Do something to get yourself to relax. If you have your partner with you all the time and would like to do something with that someone, you might want to do it sensually this time, or not too athletic. Even simple bending or yoga exercises can help you.

2. Get a bedroom makeover. Just make it more sleep-friendly. If the person who lives in the next room makes to much noise, move your bed away from that side. If your mattress and pillows are sagging, replace them. Make sure you are as comfortable as possible. Make sure your room is organized, as clutter can cause anxiety as well. You definitely wouldn't want to wake up to something hideous to the sight and add more snxiety to yourself by keeping on telling yourself that you are really gonna start cleaning up today then put it off for tomorrow again. Like i always say, stop procrastinating and do what you have to do right now and stop wasting time. If you can't sleep without the TV on, use the timer. But it's still a lot better if you didn't have a TV in your room. TV's can be distracting and can keep you up all night.

3. Turn the lights off. Stay away from bright lights. Bright lights cause the brain to be alert within two to three hours of bedtime or if you wake up during the night. Anytime that you are ready to go to bed, dim down the lights to set the mood. If you must have lights in your room, use an eyeshade. Or if you sleep during the day instead of the night, use clips to close your curtains, if you don't like blackout shades or an eyeshade.

4. Follow the crucial 20-minute rule. If you have been in bed for more than 20 minutes already, don't expect to be able to get to bed soon. Get up, catch up on some reading away from your bed, or do something until you feel sleepy. Avoid playing video games, watching the news, cleaning, or any invigorating exercises. Reading and listening to music are always the best choices. Just make sure you aren't listening to rock music or anything that encourages you to party.

0 comments: